The Institutes of Geology and Geography of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) and the Mexican Soil Science Society invite to participate in the 8th International Conference of the Working Group on Soils in Urban, Industrial, Traffic and Mining Areas (SUITMA), of the International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS).
- Worldwide urbanization has risen from 25% in 1950 to more than 50% nowadays. By 2030 more than 60% of world’s population will live in cities. In consequence, the soil surface is increasingly sealed by constructions, roads railroads and airports. Also industrial and mining activities have affected severely particular terrains, which need rehabilitation. People living in cities, opposite to indigenous rural communities, are seldom aware of the vital processes occurring in soil, which maintain plant cover, and regulate water and air quality.
- After successful meetings in Germany, France, Egypt, China, United States, Morocco and Poland, we travel to México to witness one of the largest mega-cities in the world and the soil management challenges that the third largest population of the world implies.
- The metropolitan area of Mexico-city is an example of accelerated surface sealing, as well as past and present industrial activities. Its government is dealing with flood hazards, groundwater pollution, wind erosion in peri-urban areas affecting air quality, disposal of waste (sewage, urban inorganic and organic waste materials, construction debris, etc.), and rehabilitation of former industrial terrains with severe pollution problems. Surface subsidence due to groundwater over exploitation is affecting many buildings in the city.
- The basin of Mexico has been populated since more than 2000 years, and therefore offers not only opportunities to investigate the impacts of actual human settlements, but also those of ancient human activities.
- The main campus of the National Autonomous University of Mexico will offer its facilities for the congress. One-day excursions to sites within the city, as well as pre- and post-conference tours to the surroundings will be offered.
- SUITMA 8 Congress will be held from September 20 to 25, 2015.